Nov 9, 2004

The Humanitarian Journal

...is an online political newsletter that carries Idiot Box. Subscribe by going here and entering your e-mail. You'll get the journal in your mailbox every two weeks containing news, opinion, and one of my cartoons. Here's a piece from the latest edition. Kevin Saliger has an interesting perspective on the bubbling culture war being a pro-life leftist:
This country is extremely religious, and as a result tends to also be very conservative (at least a large portion of it anyway). Two of the main religious issues that have come up in increasing levels recently. Traditionally the major one is abortion. Unlike most I leftists (including no doubt my fellow editors), I am against most abortion. If I were to base my political campaigning on this issue alone, without a doubt I would be a Republican. The problem with this for the right though is that, while I certainly understand and for the most part agree with conservatives’ disgust at abortion, I find it very hypocritical of right-wing political leaders like Bush to on the one hand claim to believe in a culture of life, and then bomb and shoot thousands upon thousands of Iraqi, Afghan, and other civilians to death.  How can you have a culture of life while you’re killing innocent people by the droves every day? This hypocrisy is disgusting to me, as is the murderous policy itself. Read more


subscribe-humanitarianjournal@yahoogroups.com