Apr 6, 2006

New Illustrations

I've been trying for a little more texture in some of my illustrations lately, as opposed to flat color. Not much in the way of preliminary sketches, none of them are very interesting. I was going to do a long post detailing how I did the old baseball look for the New York Press cover, but I lack the energy.

Basically it's comprised of about five different drawings; the characters, pencil shading on tracing paper converted to a half tone, the diamond pattern, heads drawn larger and separately, and a bunch of creases scanned in from an extremely old comic book. If you look closely you can see I knocked the CMYK plates out of calibration to replicate shitty old printers.


click to enlarge

For the OC Weekly:

click to enlarge


click to enlarge


And in case you are wondering what I am doing drawing pictures of black people screaming "nigga", it was for an article on campusprogress titled Ixnay On The N-Word.

2 Comments:

Blogger Brian McFadden said...

I really like the baseball one. I may have to steal your ancient Chinese secrets when I do some of my own old-timey stuff.

6:03 PM  
Blogger Matt Bors said...

Thanks.

OK.

3:48 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home