Feb 4, 2008

The Tattooed Bandit



I did this comic for the opinion section of The Oregonian on Sunday--my first comic on a local issue for them.

Sheriff Bernie Giusto is barely hanging on to his job. The list of ethical violations he has committed is too long to go into, but a recent one is laid out in the first panel so you can understand the comic even if you don't known who the guy is. The last panel is a reference to Portland's recent crackdown on fare dodgers on the light rail.

It felt great doing something on a local topic. All of my comics are on national issues and it's hard to imagine Bush and all the presidential candidates seeing my work. A local comic is pretty satisfying because the target has a chance to read it.

I'll be doing local work for them from time to time and will post it here.

5 Comments:

Blogger Kevin Moore said...

Hey, that's a cool gig. Congrats!

2:49 AM  
Blogger Matt S said...

After a year or two now of reading your comic, I have been inspired to lead a revolt against the boring, unintelligible, and lazy comics that occasionally fill up the editorial page in my college newspaper. Too long have I sat idly by and not laughed at political jokes that lie on a worse intellectual level as Mallard Fillmore. Unfortunately I can't draw so I'm getting help, but know that your work has raised my awareness of the level of suck-age in political cartooning. CWA rules!

8:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mallard Fillmore is ridiculously lacking in wit or humor. How's he get such good circulation?

11:37 AM  
Blogger Brubaker said...

forksmuggler,

Balance, my friend, for that evil, liberal-commie comic strip known as "Doonesbury."

5:12 PM  
Blogger Matt Bors said...

Matt,

Thanks! Glad I was of some inspiration. Most "mainstream" editorial cartoonists are failing to deliver good, insightful commentary and moving toward gag panels (and not even good ones half the time).

6:32 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home