May 19, 2008

Lesser Known Voting Blocs



Now that it is increasingly clear Obama will be the Democratic nominee, some--including Hillary--are wondering if he can win over "hard-working" white people.

But Barack Obama showed up in white-ass Portland today and 75,000 people showed up. It looked like Woodstock! Granted, Oregon is different than West Virginia--we are elitist, by which I mean our beer tastes better than piss and the coffee better than mud.

I had no idea he was speaking when I flew in this afternoon from a weekend in Boise. Downtown thousands of people were snaking through the city in line for the event. I asked a young girl what was going on. She looked at me like I was insane. "Obama!!!" she screamed, trying to blast away my ignorance.

He spoke at the Waterfront Park and I could hear him from my apartment, about a mile away. My girlfriend and I rode our bikes down and caught the tail end of the speech as close as we could. In his closing line he said that if we voted for him we could change the entire planet! I would like to change the planet into gak. Is that possible?

My buddy Shannon Wheeler posted some photos of it.

3 Comments:

Blogger Kevin Allman said...

Funny cartoon - but "Sustainability Mom" as a lesser-known voting bloc in Portland, mon frere?

We must've lived in different Portlands. because most of the hardcore enviromentalists I met had at least two kids, all of whom were "part of the solution" or the "future stewards of the earth."

Which is fine - procreate all you want, as long as you look after them - but please don't pretend that it's some sort of environmental choice. As a guy with no kids, I could burn a stack of tires on Earth Day and have less impact on the planet than the average "sustainability mom" does with Chloê and Maximilian.

1:26 AM  
Blogger Matt Bors said...

Sustainability Moms may be big in Portland but not elsewhere.

As for their breeding, I guess they have to compete with the religious folks who want "go forth and mulitply"

Who would shop organic and chain themselves to the last tree if they didn't have kids:)

12:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Hillary Billy"

Good one!

8:06 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home