Nov 7, 2008

...and the Lincoln

Cartoonists love weeping statues. And who doesn't? The image really tugs at the heart strings.

I'm not even going to post any because there are too many to choose from, but the sentient Lincoln Memorial cartoons are way out of hand. Cagle rounded up some of them in a gallery called "Lincoln Likes Obama."

There are a ton of Lincoln statues giving the thumbs up, some fist-bumping, some with tears in their eyes (and Obama logo pupils!) and even crying while fist-bumping.

The sad thing is, this theme was explored months ago when Obama won the nomination. It wasn't any better then but couldn't they think of anything else in the time between? Can we expect another wave on inauguration day?

The first problem with this is sheer laziness and unoriginality. When editors look at the cartoons coming out of the syndicates and half of them feature gleeful Abes, I bet they can't understand the argument made by cartoonists that they must employ a staffer to connect with their readers.

Secondly, is Lincoln really the best symbol to celebrate African-American accomplishment? I know he ended slavery, but it's hard to imagine him weeping over the success of blacks--he's no Frederick Douglass.

This week's batch goes down with the weeping Statues of Liberty after 9/11.

7 Comments:

Blogger warren said...

Yes, but how many whitebread Americans would recognize a caricature of Douglass?

5:47 PM  
Blogger Eirik said...

I agree, Matt; it's strange how people think Lincoln was a liberal fit for our time, when he held strong belief in the superiority of his own race. But he was better than the others of his time, no doubt.

8:27 PM  
Blogger Kevin Moore said...

Or how about Rosa Parks? She might have appreciated his election. And had she lived a few years longer, she might have even seen it.

10:30 PM  
Blogger Matt Bors said...

Jack Ohman drew Rosa riding in one panel and Obama riding to inauguration in the second.

10:37 PM  
Blogger Rob Tornoe said...

"Yes, but how many whitebread Americans would recognize a caricature of Douglass?"

Certainly not Fox News:

http://www.politicker.com/fox-news-thinks-lincoln-debated-frederick-douglas-not-stephen-douglas

10:15 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Well, I offer my congratulations to all the Obama supporters. Your guy did it. I wish Barack the best of luck as president. However, I'm reserving judgement until after he takes office and implements some policies. But even though he wasn't my first choice, I still figure he'll be better than Oldy McOlderton and Danielle Boone the wild frontierswoman.

AS I said in an earlier post, I was a Bob Barr supporter, and while I knew he wouldn't win, I thought he would fare better in the election than he did (he came in behind Nader, for God's sake.) Ah well, no sense grousing on defeat. I graciously accept that my candidate bit it hard, concede to the winners, and I offer this concession speech which I paraphrased from Penn Jillette:

"You rat bastards don't deserve a Libertarian president. Cheat, cheat, never beat. Liar, liar, pants on fire. You should all choke on your own vomit... better yet, choke on someone else's vomit and die. I think you should be pigs cursed for a million years."

10:12 PM  
Blogger Joe Corrao 4 Eyed Animation said...

deadlines...and giving America the same trite icons time after time...

8:02 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home