Jun 30, 2009

Off To Seattle

Tomorrow I leave for Seattle to attend the AAEC convention. I'll be moderating a panel on alt-weekly cartoons, participating in a panel on the future of syndication and drinking copious amounts of alcohol with my ink-slinging colleagues as we talk about the future of our dying profession. Gathering with cartoonists that are better than me is always inspiring. But given the moribund state of the industry, it has the potential to be downright depressing. It'll be a trick to stay positive while speaking frankly about the State Of Things on my panels. Nevertheless, I look forward to getting out of my cartoon laboratory for a few days to interact with other humans.

In my spare time I'll try to blog any good news or discussion that comes out of the panels.

If you are in the area, be sure come to the Cartoonapalooza event with Mike Peters, Ted Rall, David Horsey, Signe Wilkinson, Mark Fiore, myself and others.

1 Comments:

Blogger Outis said...

It struck me the other day, I've enjoyed comics ever since I could read (35 years or so). Never have I had access to as many comics that I find so entertaining (besides Matt Bors, I regularly read xkcd, Basic Instructions, pictures for sad children, e-merl, Dilbert, Tom Tomrrow, Doonsbury). The comics I enjoy generally wouldn't succeed in a world where being published requires a wide audience. So while the newspaper industry is imploding, from my perspective as a consumer of comics, I have to say life has never been better.

Is it sustainable? Will these artists keep producing the great stuff they are for t-shirt sales, tips, and ad revenue from their sites?

9:39 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home