Jul 15, 2009

Obligatory MJ Commentary



The Michael Jackson death-fest rolls on. I caught a segment on The Situation Room this week where my good friend Wolf Blitzer breathlessly reported on the rampant tabloid speculation about MJ being murdered. Wait until his image starts appearing in wood grain--they'll send in Candy Crowley to investigate.

Al Sharpton gave Michael an incredible eulogy. In front of the selfless philanthropist's gold sarcophagus, Sharpton credited him for the election of Barack Obama, the state of race relations as we know it and us loving each other. (We do love each other, don't we?) MJ did indeed break down barriers for African-Americans. Unfortunately he also broke down the barriers of what we previously thought a human face could/should look like.

Anyway, the only point I'm after here is that Prince is better than Michael Jackson. It's one of my Strongly Held Convictions along with torture and universal health care. He's far more talented, plays a ton of instruments, constantly releases good albums, doesn't lip sync or distract from his talent with elaborate dance sequences and his sexual eccentricities have always been limited to adults. He's a freak, but in a good way!

9 Comments:

Blogger Sumit Khanna said...

I though I could escape the MJ stuff at least on Bors's blog. :-P

Really, Prince? You're leaving out the most influential artists when it comes to getting youths knocked up: The Reverend Al Green (the best kind of Reverend).

A few years ago, Al Green showed up on The Daily Show high as ball and started humping John Stewart's couch (back when they had a couch)

9:41 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I never want to see you draw Hillary like that again... I may have nightmares... but funny comic!

11:21 AM  
Blogger Matt Bors said...

Sumit--Yes, even here we have succumb. I'm trying to score an interview with La Toya's nose for Friday.

11:31 AM  
Blogger Judas Peckerwood said...

Guess you hadn't seen this yet: http://cbs13.com/local/michael.jackson.tree.2.1072797.html

3:20 PM  
Blogger Matt Bors said...

No, I hadn't. I'm not seeing Jackson in there. Is it supposed to be an image of his sphincter?

3:22 PM  
Anonymous Lamb Cannon said...

Not to be pseudo-metaphysical... ya know, the old butterfly in China thing, I am quite sure that I had I never existed, things would be rolling along much as otherwise

Doubtful we could say that about MJ, regardless about one's opinion about him... the over-rehearsed kind of showmanship that Thriller and mtv in general forced on the music business changed so many things, better or worse (I can do without it, but so what)

Can we really say that, e.g., we would have Sarah Palin today if MJ hadn't existed? Game theory seems to suggest otherwise.

I think we should be told.

8:20 AM  
Blogger Aaron Manton said...

MJ's real crime was helping 'Weird Al' Yankovic get so popular. I get his damn songs stuck in my head all the time, and I don't like him!

Also those Captain Crunch outfits were just hideous.

1:15 PM  
Anonymous weez said...

Matt, you're right- the tree thing is definitely MJ's anus.

Aaron, I gotta tell ya that the first thought that ran through my mind upon hearing that MJ had become worm food was 'WTF is Weird Al gonna do for a living now?' The simple answer was a new spoof of 'Bad.'

'Because I'm DEAD, I'm dead, ya know it...'

4:17 PM  
Blogger VDT said...

Matt, you will probably enjoy this article in light of your comments:

Michael Jackson: An Icon of Mediocrity by Alisa Valdes-Rodriguez

http://alisavaldes-rodriguezofficialblog.blogspot.com/2009/07/michael-jackson-icon-of-mediocrity.html

3:44 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home