May 17, 2007

More on Falwell

Cagle posted about the early Falwell cartoons and the Tinky Winky "Yahtzee," which is his term for the common gag that comes out from Editorial Cartoonists the day after a celebrities death or major event. I'm included in the roundup, but proud to be (or baffled that I am) the only one who depicted him in Hell.

And I tried posting the YouTube video yesterday, but couldn't get it to work. This segment on AC360 with Christopher Hitchens was the most honest assessment of Falwell's life I heard. I just finished reading his new book, god is not Great, and it was delightfully vicious take down of religion. Meanwhile, Falwell's pious hucksters counterparts Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton were out--inserting themselves in the day's news as usual--noting that while they disagreed with Falwell he had a "heart of gold" and was "a good friend."

2 Comments:

Blogger laura linger said...

Dear Matt:

I am sad to tell you that one of your biggest fans, my brother, Andy Weiss, was killed by an IED in Baghdad on May 3, 2007. I turned him and his fellow troops onto Idiot Box, and Andy in particular loved your work. Andy was a funny, bright guy with a keen sense of humor. Your cartoons appealed a great deal to his sense of the ironic and sardonic, and it put a smile on his face for just a moment as he was surrounded by death and pain in that hell hole.

We used to always say to one another, "I ain't a steer, and I ain't a queer," because that was our absolute favorite strip of yours. It was an "in joke" for my brother and me.

I will keep reading the strip. I thought that you would want to know about Andy. He was 28 years old, and leaves behind a wife and two small children. Oh, and an absolutely heartbroken gaggle of family and friends.

Peace.

8:40 PM  
Blogger Matt Bors said...

Laura,

I can't find your contact info on your blog. Hopefully you see this.

I was reading through some of your recent blog posts. That is horrible about your brother. I don't know what to say except that I'm so sorry for you and your family. No one should have to go through that.

Thanks for letting me know Andy liked my comics. I'm glad I provided him with a little entertainment over there.

Stay in touch.

Matt

2:01 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home