Apr 16, 2008

comics

This Rob Rogers cartoon mad me laugh. It's amusing to see the Democratic candidates touting their religion and love of weaponry more than the Republican.



Rob Rogers
Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Apr 15, 2008


This Lisa Benson cartoon, however, is a parody gone bad. It combines an Absolute Vodka ad and Obama's recent remarks about unemployed gun nuts.

Often we editorial cartoonists peg the news to a current movie or something and do a parody of it because it's easy and funny if done right. But what's the implication here? Obama's recent remarks about "bitter" small town Americans threatens to hand off half the country to Mexico? I don't get it. It couldn't possibly be that clumsy. I must be missing something so let me know in the comments.



Lisa Benson
Victor Valley Daily Press
Apr 15, 2008

7 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

All I've got is the section "Washington DC" looks like a gun with the section "Middle America" being the trigger.
That's if you squint, or I could be completely off.

4:14 AM  
Blogger Kevin Allman said...

A few weeks ago, Michelle Malkin and some others were manufacturing some outrage over an Absolut Vodka ad that ran only in Mexico; it showed the Mexican border stretching into the USA. I didn't pay attention then and I don't care now, but if you Google "Absolut Mexico ad" you should be brought up to speed pretty quickly.

10:51 AM  
Blogger paradoxbomb said...

It is that clumsy. Thanks, I feel dumber now ;-)

11:41 AM  
Blogger Matt Bors said...

james: t's almost abstract art so any interpretation is as good as the next.

Kevin: I did see that original ad...I'm just not sure of the tie to Obama.

12:03 PM  
Blogger Kevin Allman said...

Matt, there doesn't have to be a specific tie. Remember your training:

POP CULTURE EVENT + WHATEVER'S IN THE NEWS = CARTOON

Now go forth and sketch the "American Idol" judges making a comment on Gen. Petraeus' latest testimony.

Or the Popemobile stopping at a gas station where the prices are outrageous.

Or - get this - Hillary and Obama on "Dancing With the Stars"!

Remember: pop-culture concept married to a news item = cartoony gold!

12:30 PM  
Blogger Matt Bors said...

yeah, you're right.

I don't think there has been a popemobile gas comic yet, but I'll bet we see one.

12:57 PM  
Blogger Kevin Moore said...

Oh man, you should so draw it! That wood be larial! LOL! LMFAO!

But seriously. Please don't.

I think we should start requiring hack political cartoonists to include laugh track sound files with their jpgs or gifs. That way we know it's funny.

3:32 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home