Jul 25, 2008

Fishwraps

Chris Hedges has a column over at Truthdig about the decline of print. A factoid in the following paragraph caught my eye:
When the traditional news organizations go belly up we will lose a vast well of expertise and information. Our democracy will suffer a body blow. Not that many will notice. The average time a reader of The New York Times spends with the printed paper is about 45 minutes. The average time a viewer spends on The New York Times Web site is about seven minutes. There is a difference between browsing and reading. And the Web is built for browsing rather than for reading. When there is a long piece on the Internet, most of us have to print it out to get through it.

5 Comments:

Blogger Jon said...

This is why for some people, brunch and reading the Sunday paper are a major weekend event. On my weekend to-do list, catching up on the paper from the previous week and reading the weekend paper are bullet items just like laundry and grocery shopping. If you want headlines, read a free daily paper. If you want reporting, read a newspaper. And no, USA Today doesn't count.

3:09 PM  
Blogger Matt Bors said...

I agree. I love the Sunday paper. It's too hard to spend that much time online (and who brings their computer to the breakfast table?).

One of the reasons I like print papers and magazines--besides the in depth articles--is that it's a break from all time I spend online.

3:21 PM  
Blogger Outis said...

I just reverse engineer the news from web comics and the daily show.

Just kidding, I read a few blogs too.

6:10 PM  
Blogger Brubaker said...

Count me in as one of the newspaper readers. Whenever I travel, I always try to buy their local paper ('tho that's mostly so I can compare their comics section to our's at home)

11:41 AM  
Blogger Matt S said...

I read the news and comics online, at my breakfast table. However, I'm wierd in that I fully read most articles I get, and I read more national news than my local paper usually prints.

7:46 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home