Jul 17, 2008

Bad Call

This whole cover controversy made me realize I haven't received an issue of The New Yorker for a few weeks. My elitism might wear off. I called to see if there was a problem with my subscription.

After hearing a pre-recorded explanation of the meaning for the cover, I pressed some buttons and got through. The woman I talked to sounded relieved that I actually wanted to receive the magazine. I asked if it was a rough day. "You're the first person in a few hours that hasn't yelled at me." Were a lot of people calling to cancel their subscriptions? "Some. Mostly people calling to tell me I'm racist. I want to go home."

She's just at some call center the magazine farms this crap work out to. I felt bad and told her I'd buy her a beer if I could. She said thanks and had one last question. "Would you like to buy a gift subscription today for only $39?"

She didn't want to ask, but the call may have been monitored to ensure quality service.

3 Comments:

Blogger Matt S said...

This is pretty close to my opinion on the new yorker cartoon.
http://atheistethicist.blogspot.com/2008/07/failure-of-new-yorker-cartoon.html

This guy really goes deep into a lot of issues.

7:53 AM  
Blogger Eric Allie said...

So, wait, the ignorant boobs are who? The What's-the-matter-with-Kansas rubes or New Yorker subscribers?

9:32 AM  
Blogger Matt Bors said...

Eallie--Either way, people calling to bitch at some call center employee is pretty lame.

12:48 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home