Oct 27, 2008

Nader Rally


Nader has been so irrelevant in this election he hardly warrants another comic. But when I saw him last week, his supporters came off as so wacky I had to do some comic reporting. (See a previous one here.)

As I say in the comic, his speech was what you'd expect. There was plenty to agree with and I couldn't help but wondering why this man wasted the last decade running for President instead of doing something meaningful like writing books or starting a PAC.

Nader wants the media to focus on the issues, but his remaining supporters seemed more concerned with bizarre conspiracy theories. Half of the audience questions focused on these concerns and what Nader would do about them "as President."

I expected to see the so-called 9/11 Truthers there, but the chem trail question really threw me for a loop. I looked around to see if everyone was as mystified as I, but apparently not understanding how jets make condensation trails is more widespread than I thought.

Waiting for the bus outside the rally, a woman next to me brought it up. She said she never gets sick but thought the chem trails may have resulted in her cold. A massive government conspiracy is underway to give people sinus congestion! Then she started talking about how people with Downs Syndrome look like aliens and may be the result of genetic tampering by scientists or chemicals in our food.

See you in four more, Ralph!

2 Comments:

Blogger Kevin Moore said...

Nice self-caricature.

Chem trails cause people to believe in irrational conspiracy theories. It's a government plot to keep us disoriented as the country succumbs to UN dictatorship. Or something.

11:10 AM  
Blogger Sumit Khanna said...

Nader could be doing so much more. I understand how running for president gets the media attention..sorta. But it's not the good kind. It's not the kind that follows people like Ron Paul.

The true way to go 3rd party is not to run for president. Any legit 3rd party needs to work on congressmen. If you get just two congressmen in, you can get funding and if you can get a few congressmen and two senators in...from different states: then you have a chance at a real presidential candidate. Starting from the top is not the way to go.

On a side note, when I worked for Tennessee Valley Authority (TVA), I was in the phone tech call center. Someone from the Hamilton County Deeds office called me and told me she had a man who had been sprayed by a TVA helicopter near powerlines. I informed her we were tech support and really couldn't help him. She had been given the runaround so I listened.

The man said he was sprayed with Defolate/Agent Orange. I assured him we don't spray Agent Orange (TVA does have helicopters and they do spray powerlines, but with the weed killer you buy at the hardware store). I mean, weed killer is kinda toxic and I asked if he had went to a hospital. He claimed he was exposed in Vietnam and that it wouldn't matter.

I filed a helpdesk ticket and sent the number to my co-workers and they laughed their asses off. A week later I checked the ticket. It was forwarded to the Office of Inspector General. There are some weird people out there...

And just on a side note. I'm not a huge conspiracy theory nut, but I do believe a lot of people with money in this country fight for power, people who own banks and media outlets, the Ted Turners and Murdocks and JPMorgan CEOs of the world, and that regular joes get brushed aside. No conspiracies, just lots of rich evil people fighting to buy each other.

...and I do believe we need a new 9/11 investigation and that at the very least the Pentagon was hit by a missile and WTC7 was blown down.

...wow...maybe I am a left-wing nut. Glad I didn't vote Nader.

8:41 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home