Dec 17, 2008

Poetry Corner

What exactly are Caroline Kennedy's qualifications to be a Senator? Some Democrats who blasted Palin as inexperienced now think it's a splendid idea that an inexperienced person from the Kennedy family be elevated to represent one of the most important areas of the country. From what I can tell, it's because she is famous and appeared on television a few times. No doubt Ms. Kennedy possess more intellectual acumen than Palin, but what are her positions?

Peggy Noonan said of Palin that her party was going with "bullshit about narratives" over political substance. Seems to be what this is about as well.

My favorite defense of Caroline Kennedy has to be this:
She reads poetry. Anyone who doesn’t think that’s relevant needs to be reminded of William Carlos Williams’ observation: “It is difficult to get the news from poems, yet men die miserably every day for the lack of what is found there.”
I agree. In order to end all wars, as well as qualify myself for the Senate, I offer the poem "yeah" by Charles Bukowski:

just heard a commercial
which told me
Farmer John smokes his own
bacon.
now, there's a tough
son of a
bitch.

3 Comments:

Blogger Brian McFadden said...

But does she have a Dream Catcher?

She won't get my hippy dippy support unless she has one. Or makes her own compost.

4:19 PM  
Blogger Matt Bors said...

Those are important considerations, Brian. I hope she will be forthcoming with her past associations and potential hippy-ness

6:13 PM  
Blogger Judas Peckerwood said...

I'd be more amenable to the idea if the poetry she reads is Bukowski. Somehow I think not, though.

11:34 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home