Nov 8, 2009

Googled

Ken Auletta is the author of the new book "Googled: The End of the World as We Know It." He was on CNN's Reliable Sources today and had an interesting anecdote about how some in "new media" argue exposure is the ultimate payment.

KURTZ: Did one of the founders -- did I get this right -- of Google ask you why you didn't just publish your book online?

AULETTA: Yes. In my second interview with co-founder Sergey Brin, he came in on his rollerblades and he threw his knapsack down on the table and he said, "Ken, let me ask you a question." He said, "Why don't you just publish a book for free online and get a much larger audience for it?"

And I said, "Well, I might get a larger audience, but who's going to pay me an advance so I have money to live on since I'm on leave from "The New Yorker" to do this? And by the way, Sergey, who's going to edit my book and who's going to do an index? And who's going to market it? And who's going to pay for my expenses to come out here as many times I'm coming out here?"

And, of course, at that point, Sergey Brin changed the subject.

5 Comments:

Blogger Andreas Schuster said...

He was also on Charlie Rose in a very short felt interview

3:49 AM  
Blogger Andreas Schuster said...

i forgot the link but the charlie rose flash interface makes it hard.
sorry!

3:52 AM  
Blogger Sumit Khanna said...

I still buy books. I may illegally download TV shows, movies and music from big name artists, but I always buy CD from small artists at their shows, I still buy new books and I buy t-shirts to support my favorite web comics. (The "Sudan is for Lovers" shirt rocks. It's a great conversation starter.)

8:46 AM  
Blogger Jen Sorensen said...

Awesome anecdote.

12:57 PM  
Blogger Thomas Daulton said...

"Let them eat cake!" Errr, ummm, I mean, "Why can't you simply live off your stock dividends for a couple of years while you work on your book?"

4:26 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home