Nov 18, 2009

We differ slightly on the justice system.

I was having a conversation with my crazy conservative friend about the trials for Khalid Sheikh Mohammed and others that will take place in New York. It went something like this:

Crazy Conservative Friend: It's a disgrace we are trying them in this country.

Me: Why--don't you think our legal system will deliver justice?

CCF: They don't deserve the rights of American citizens. They are prisoners of war!

Me: If they are guilty of crimes why not put them on trial? I'd like to try and convict them. You'd like to hold onto them forever without charges.

CCF: No, I don't. They should be kicked out of a helicopter over a---over a chasm. We can watch them splatter and cheer!

Me: Surely there should be trials before the helicopter drop, right?

CCF: No! Fuck 'em. It's Al Qaeda. They want to kill us!

Me: Then how do you determine who to drop out of helicopters?

CCF: It's Al Qaeda! They want to kill us!

Me: So...what's the weather like out there?

5 Comments:

Blogger Big Mark 243 said...

That sums it up quite nicely. I think that it is a case of emotional logic fail on those who don't think they should be tried.

I do think it should be a change of venue ... because in theory, how could you expect to find an unbaised jury in New York?

Maybe take them to Chicago or in a Federal court out west. Give the sembalance of a 'fair trial'.

8:01 AM  
Blogger -- chase said...

I have never understood the argument that people who aren't American citizens don't deserve a trial. What part of "endowed by their creator with certain unalienable rights" do these people not understand?

9:57 AM  
Blogger malachi the wretched said...

It reminds me of the really depressing discussions I have with my students over torture. I find even some of the self-professed liberals in class are either in favor of torturing Al Qaeda or at least haven't given it much thought at all. When I asked, "What if we tortured someone who wasn't Al Qaeda - just some poor bastard caught by the Northern Alliance and given to us?" The reply from one of my students, "Sucks to be them."

I think that the younger generation tend to be a lot more open-minded about some things, but actually regressing in other areas.

10:44 AM  
Blogger Bill Hicks said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

12:58 PM  
Blogger Sumit Khanna said...

My friend Johnathan said he didn't see the stuff we did as torture. When I told him there have been people held there for years without charge and who were tortured (this was like 3 years ago), he asked, "US citizens?"

I asked "does it matter? My mom isn't a citizen. Does she deserve to be tortured?" (My dad and sister are. I was born here. I don't know why mom never got her citizenship.)

The 'sucks to be you' argument irks me the most. I had an ex-girlfriend use that when we talked about health care and people who didn't have coverage. She was under the impression everyone did have access to something, people just chose not to get it. I'm glad she broke up with me.

Since when does being a citizen in this country mean you don't care about anybody but yourself? That seems to be the trend lately.

3:57 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home