Feb 13, 2006

A Plea To Fans

Doing this strip is great and rewarding in and of itself. I don't plan on stopping until I'm old and gray. But being on the web isn't the be all end all for me. I'm a print guy. I offer the strip free online because I want as many people to see it as possible, but the only way I can make money at this is by newsweeklies running it in print. Most editors these days need shock therapy to realize that more than two or three comics can (and should) appear in their paper. Readers like comics!

If you show up here every week there must be something I'm doing right. So please, if you enjoy the strip, take a moment to write an e-mail to the Editor of your local newsweekly telling them about it. Send them a link to your favorite comic. You can find contact info to most papers at the AAN Directory. Consider doing this even if you don't pick the paper up and wouldn't even if I was in it. Because people that rely on these papers for their comic fix instead of the net will never find out about me until people let their Editors know.

Or just look for the e-mail to the editor on the masthead of your local newsweekly.

4 Comments:

Blogger Abell Smith said...

Amen. The Alt-Newsweeklies have apparently forgotten all about how it was the alternative comics that gave them their readership and helped make them into the industry they are...

But why dick around with quality content when you can put another sex ad in the back pages?

11:33 PM  
Blogger Mikhaela Reid said...

I don't know why editors don't realize how much readers love comics. They're too attached to all those giant gray boxes of text.

But they've got no choice but to get sex ads, how else can a free weekly make money? Classified ads are dead now thanks to Craigslist, and that's how they used to make their $$$.

12:45 PM  
Blogger Matt Bors said...

Comics as a feature, take up the smallest amount of space possible. As opposed to a column or something.

You can almost always get away with paying a lot less for a comic than anything else and people will want to read it EVERY WEEK!

2:40 PM  
Blogger Brian McFadden said...

I fear the computers that generate sudoku puzzles will put every cartoonist out of business.

4:56 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home