Jun 6, 2008

Cutting Ties



Barack Obama has left his church of twenty years after another "yelling pastor" video made the web. What could have prompted his departure? Not politics. It was a personal decision--one that was best for his family. It only happened to coincide with the conventional wisdom mongers declaring this to be something he "had to do."

I guess they are right in that the issue would never go away otherwise. If he became President, he might fly back every Sunday to be indoctrinated. You can receive weekly phone calls by homophobic hate-mongers, but not black preachers.

Monday: Hillary Supporters

3 Comments:

Blogger Matt S said...

In the benefit of the doubt, I feel like perhaps the climate of the church changed. In the video, I didn't just see a crazy priest, I saw the whole congregation clapping and cheering. I don't think Barack feels that way, and perhaps he didn't expect that kind of behavior from his fellow church members...
but that's just a sympathetic guess.

8:36 AM  
Blogger paradoxbomb said...

I think he also did it to take the focus off of the church. I'm sure the church members didn't appreciate the increased scrutiny.

11:34 AM  
Blogger Matt Bors said...

I know he had to leave the church politically, but I tend to think that's the reason he joined in the first place. I don't think Obama is especially religious.

If he was willing to give up the church for politics, he should have done it before he launched his campaign. Critics see that they've drawn blood now.

If he didn't think that church was going to be an issue, he's an idiot.

2:32 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home