Aug 6, 2008

Get My Gitmo Cell Ready!

Today concludes the first military commissions trial at the Guantanamo Bay concentration camp. Salim Hamdan, Osama Bin Laden's former driver, was convicted of providing material support for terrorism and acquitted of a greater conspiracy charge. He faces life in prison.

Which brings me to my latest comic.

Through the miracle of e-mail forwarding technology, the comic made its way down to Gitmo last week and into the hands of his lawyers. The cartoon was translated for Hamdan and I'm told he was quite amused.

At first I was excited. I have been spilling ink on Gitmo for years--now my comics actually made it past their defenses on to the land where iguanas have more rights than humans. Then reality set in...

This puts 2 degrees of separation between me and Bin Laden (and only 3 for anyone who has met me--MUWAHAHA!) With the flimsy standards of evidence preferred by the Bush administration, does this mean I could be tried in a military tribunal for giving aid and comforting humor to the enemy?

I hope they let me have pens and paper in my cell.

2 Comments:

Blogger Kevin Allman said...

How strange, yet how cool...

Or: how cool, yet how strange.

5:41 PM  
Blogger Abell Smith said...

That's awesome, Matt... good job.

4:57 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home