Mar 11, 2006

Blecky Yuckerella

Found via the Flog, the Portland Mercury refused to run Johnny Ryan's recent strip for being objectionable. It is the only weekly paper that runs the strip now that the Seattle Stranger dropped it. Eric Reynolds at the Flog writes "This strikes me as weird, given that the Mercury is owned by the Seattle Stranger, which was one of the few American newspapers to run the Danish editorial cartoons that have caused so much insanity." I agree to an extent. As Editor I wouldn't have spiked the strip. I don't find it offensive, it was just what Ryan does every week in Blecky Yuckerella; relying on the old wiping the ass with/pissing on/shitting all over/impaling you with my penis jokes.

Also, be sure to check out this strip where he oh-so-hilariously cracks on weekly political strips. I guess weekly papers just don't recognize Ryan's genius of scrawling out piss and shit jokes 52 weeks a year.

2 Comments:

Blogger Abell Smith said...

Ha ha. That cartoon is so right-on. Politics are SO boring!
Comics have to appeal to people with 5-second attention spans. Take this "Katrina" thing -- it's all so YESTERDAY! I can't believe people are still bitching about it. Like, get over it already.

What were we talking about?

10:23 PM  
Blogger Mikhaela Reid said...

Masheka is a huge Johnny Ryan fan but I have to admit I don't get the appeal, especially after that strip. How is toilet humor somehow more cutting edge and exciting than actually responding to vital, constantly changing news stories?

I get those comments sometimes on my cartoons "Oh look, a liberal bashing Bush--how ORIGINAL." (But a conservative using "liberal" as a dirty word is somehow smart or clever? Please).

Ryan's strip about the "boringness" of political cartoons is boring in itself, and exactly like all the dumb strips in those "Legal Action Comics" anthologies making fun of Ted Rall. But while Ted was travelling around Afghanistan reporting for the Village Voice, those guys were sitting at home drawing dick jokes. Stop the presses! I've never seen such brilliance!

5:47 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home