Apr 13, 2006

New Toon: Your Guide To Pabst Blue Ribbon


click to enlarge

I had this one sitting on the back burner a couple months and finally decided to do it. The cult of popularity around Pabst Blue Ribbon among young hipsters who prefer Fat Tire and Guinness baffles me. I guess it's the faux-blue collar look they're going for, not sure. I do know it takes an amazing amount of mental acrobatics to think it is good while being a beer snob and despising all other cheap domestics. Don't get me wrong here, I'm definitely a beer snob. I just don't make exceptions for PBR.

In case you don't live in internet land, the seemingly random Chuck Norris reference has to do with the growing cult of popularity around him as well. There's the random facts thing and then there's the shirts. You know, last month it was Thundercats, next month it'll be Richard Simmons shirts. Until every eighties reference has been exhausted. The most popular shirt is WWCND (What would Chuck Norris Do). While poking around his official website, I found exactly what the actor would do:
The actor says the Holy Spirit has filled the emptiness he had and has given his life new meaning. He is now an advocate for getting the Bible back into the public school curriculum.

Not cool Chuck.

5 Comments:

Blogger Brian McFadden said...

I agree completely. Although I have been known to make exceptions for a can of Natty Boh, usually when it's 9O+ degrees out, humid, and someone else's beer.

9:30 PM  
Blogger Matt Bors said...

I've never so much as seen one of those there Natty bumpos, or whatever you call em.

In Ohio we drink Bud, Coors, Miller. The kinds of beers that wear football helmets in ads and are blasting the fuck out from a pile of ice.

Can Natty Bumpo do that? didn't think so.

9:47 PM  
Blogger Brian McFadden said...

National Bohemian is only sold around Baltimore. It used to be just another shitty locally brewed beer, but now it has some sort of cult status there. I don't mind drinking it since their mascot's so cool. The beer however, not so cool.

I used Mr. Boh in the Natty Book of World Averages cartoon.

11:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lets please be clear. Some of us drink Pabst because we are economically minded drunks. I do not consider myself a "hipster" nor am I "blue collared" (I'm a shitty office manager with a bad drinking problem.) but I do drink Pabst. Simply because: 5 dollars for six 16oz cans. It is not good beer, but it is a good value.

Hillarious comic though.

10:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

me likey pbr. not a beer snob but i do think a nice cold pbr offers more satisfaction than any other cheap, two steps from piss domestic beer.

5:26 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home