Mar 9, 2010

Fired Up. Ready To Knock.

Watch out health insurance companies: Obama's rolling up his shirt sleeves and raising his voice in speeches! Whoever said passing laws was about back room deals, bribes and ideological trench warfare apparently has never listened to a rousing speech by our president. He has the solution for passing the bill: get active!

"I'm kind of fired up," Obama said at the beginning of his remarks, a variation on his oft-stated 2008 refrain, "Fired up. Ready to go." And he included an appeal to his audience – many of whom were students – to help in the same ways they might in a campaign. "So I need you to knock on doors. Talk to your neighbors. Pick up the phone," he urged them.

OK. I'm picking up my phone. It's picked - I'm holding it in my hand right now! Should I send a mass text urging everyone in my contacts to support passage of the bill? Should I call my grandma? (It's been too long and I wonder if she's figured out how to pronounce your name yet.)

Should I knock on my neighbor's door and gab her ears off about health care reform? She really loves when I wonk out and demand that she call or write her representative immediately. Makes her want to hang out with me more.

I understand the problem now. It's not Republican obstruction, Democratic weakness, the undemocratic Senate or the fact that corporate interests control both parties. It's me. I haven't been knocking on enough doors this past year.

But I'll do it for health care. Because after all, I still don't have any. I'll even write a joke to help persuade the nation. Print it out and leaflet your neighborhood. DO IT.

------

Knock, Knock.
Who's there?
Health care reform.
Health care reform wh-- hold on, my phone is ringing. Hello? Yes, health care reform, I know. Some asshole is at my door right now telling me about it. I've got people knocking, neighbors coming by, motherfuckers blowing up my phone. I joined a Facebook group about health care reform getting more fans than Nickleback. Guess what? I already support health care reform. Yup, I'm all aboard. Even that shitty thing Obama calls reform will do at this point. So stop bothering me and pass the damn thing so Rush Limbaugh will move out of the fucking country, which is where I might be going to get some health care if you keep this up.

3 Comments:

Blogger Pastor Farm said...

Jesus Christ! You blogged on a Tuesday.

11:51 PM  
Blogger Marisa said...

hey, am i the neighbor?!!

9:50 PM  
Blogger Matt Bors said...

I didn't have anyone specifically in mind.

10:06 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home